433-252 - Lab 1 / Week 2: Shell Scripts
Notes: Matt Giuca
- Asking for help.
- Subject web page:
- You need to prepare. Even if all you do is read over the
handouts. Read it on the train coming in.
- Get your name marked off. You need to show you're coming to
- Get into good programming habits. You will be assessed on these,
in this and all future subjects.
- Make code clear, and lay it out properly.
- Write comments when code is unclear.
- Write comments at the top of functions to explain what it
- Choose appropriate variable and function names.
- Get into the habit of using
man before asking
- Get to know shell scripts.
- Write the
- Add command-line arguments to
We will expect you to know how to do shell scripting by next week,
when we write some real programs with it!
You need to know:
if; then; fi
for; do; done
while; do; done
- $Variables and command-line arguments
- All the quoting styles (
- Globbing and escaping (
You should also know how to get around the shell environment.